Saturday, July 14, 2007

Long Run, Long Ride

I'm beat. Over 8 hours of training in the past 2 days. On Friday I had a swim, followed by the longest run I have done to date; a whopping 2 hours in the mountains. My IT band took a beating and I'm afraid I'll have to pay extra close attention to them in the next week or so. Energy-wise I felt great during the entire run.

Mesa Trail run; elevation graph

Today I rode up to the peak of Mt. Evans at 14,100ft. I felt strong and largely unaffected by the altitude until crossing above 12,000ft. I felt as if I were bonking during the last 3 miles of the ascent . I had a headache, I was dizzy, my arms were tired and numb, and my legs had absolutely no power in them. After a quick photo-op at the top and a long, bumpy 26-mile descent back to our cars in Idaho Springs (7,800ft), I did a quick brick run. My IT bands were pretty much shot from the run yesterday, so I only got in half of the run time I wanted to. Now, my only goal for the rest of the day is to regain all the water weight I lost and eat salty food. In total, I burned over 5,000Kcal today and lost over 8lbs of water through dehydration. Not good. I guess 4 bottles of water on a 4 hour ride is NOT ENOUGH.

Mt. Evans ride; Elevation graph

Echo Lake


Approaching 12,000ft. Well above treeline.


Summit of Mt. Evans

Kentucky Fried Chicken sounds amazing right now...but - would I dare???

1 comment:

Jimmy said...

damaging that IT band is bad news. take care of that sucker.