Saturday, June 28, 2008

I should have practiced that more...

Oh man, oh man...oh, man. I had a bunch of firsts today. First time racing the Loveland Lake to Lake Olympic distance triathlon, first broken bone, first ambulance ride, first prescription of Vicodin, soon to be first surgery, and a first class dissappointment. Remember that time I said I had perfected the flying bike mount? It may be hard to remember unless you're a loyal reader of this blog, because I claimed to have perfected this graceful act all of 19 HOURS AGO! Well, it turns out I did not, in fact, perfect the flying bike mount.

The short and long of it was that I messed up the mount, landed on my foot sideways really hard, said 'ouch', and then convinced myself to continue riding to see if the pain would go away. During the 15 miles it took me to realize something was seriously wrong, my thought progression went something like this;

"Shit, that hurts. Calm down and you can gain back lost time."

"Shit, that still hurts. Just get through the bike and see what you can do on the run."

"Shit, I guess I'll just finish the ride."

"Shit, my foot is swollen and green."

There goes the past 8 weeks of training...and the next 8...

( -100 cool points)

No comments: