Friday, July 4, 2008

Extreme Pedicure!

I had a very expensive pedicure yesterday. Dr. Wertz put 3 screws in the 5th metatarsal of my left foot. I believe they will stay there indefinitely, but I go back for the follow up appointment on July 16th to get all the recovery details.

The 40 minute operation went smoothly, and I got to watch some of it. The spinal anesthetic didn't start working completely until a few minutes into the operation, so I could feel them slicing my foot open and positioning the bones back together. The spinal anesthetic is supposed to numb everything from the waist down, but oddly enough I could feel and move everything except the calf and foot they were operating on. As soon as the surgery was over, they removed the tourniquet from my quad and almost instantly I could feel and move my left leg. Thankfully I was not in pain.

Right now I'm hopped up on Percocet, which I can tell you I do not like as much as Vicodin. Percocet makes me feel as if I've just woken up still drunk after a big night of drinking. Vicodin just made me pleasantly tired.

Let the countdown to a good foot begin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Dr. Wertz operated on my wife when she broke her wrist snowboarding 3 weeks after we arrived here. He's the man. Sorry to hear about your foot, that blows. Do some cyclocross this fall to (re-)perfect your flying mount!